Sunday, March 4, 2012

Should you feel bad about being in debt?

I ask this question because there are commercials being shown that suggest you should.  I used to think I was a bad person for being in debt and I was never told any different.  When the bill collectors would call I wouldn't answer the phone or if I did answer I would want to cry due to the way they would speak to me.  I felt they had the right to speak to me that way because I incurred the debt.  Not fully understanding how debt worked or how it grew to such an outstanding amount, also not knowing my rights as a consumer I just accepted it.  These commercials work because they play on your emotions and your need to be a productive person in society.  Don't get me wrong those are great attributes, but money is not an emotional being.  You can not make money decisions based on emotions, nor can you start the rebuilding process on emotions.  You have to begin the process understanding there is an issue as well as you want to clear it up to better position yourself for your financial future.  I say NO, you should not be ashamed, embarrassed, or feel bad about yourself.  That is a financial issue not who you are as a person, that aspect can always be changed and managed with some guidance.   You must know your rights as a consumer and you must know where you stand financially.  You should never allow yourself to be forced into a financial obligation you cannot afford.  That is why you must create a true budget and be completely honest with yourself about where you are and what is most important to you.  More than half of Americans are in debt and have no clue how to get out or how they got there.  Renew Financial Consulting is available to help you with your financial transition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment